Many business organizations and self-employed individuals require a significant online presence as one of their strategies to remain relevant in today’s competitive environment of attracting customers or sponsors. To host your game service e-commerce website, mobile applications, mail server, or other specialized services, there are several hosting options available to you such as cloud computing, hybrid servers, virtual private servers, and dedicated server hosting.
However, if you are expecting your website to grow or anticipating increased traffic in the near future, then dedicated servers are the best hosting option for you because of the advantages they provide in terms of flexibility, performance, and security.
In this guide, we will answer the most common questions regarding dedicated server hosting such as what is a dedicated server, what is a dedicated server hosting, what is a dedicated server in gaming, what is a dedicated IP server, what is Windows dedicated server, how much for a dedicated server and where to buy a dedicated server. Aside from the specific answers to these questions, you will also learn about other areas of topics related to dedicated servers.
What is a Dedicated Server
A dedicated server is a physical server that is completely allocated to a single user or organization. This means that all of the server’s computing operating resources are solely dedicated only for one customer and you do not have to split or share its resources with another client. Dedicated servers are housed in a datacenter that can be located anywhere in the world and operate 24/7, which means that even if your computer is not connected to the server, it continues to run and provide services for you.
What is Dedicated Server Hosting
Dedicated server hosting is a type of Internet hosting service in which a hosting service company or provider allocates exclusive access to a remote server that will host your website and applications. This type of hosting option provides you with exceptional customization, allows you full access to higher levels of your server’s resources, and complete control over its configuration and environment.
To avail of dedicated server hosting, you will have to hire the services of web hosting providers who offer various hosting plans applicable to the budget level and specific needs of customers. It is important for you to search for as many providers as you can, look at the particular details of their hosting plans, and compare the prices, features, and other important information about those plans. This way, you’ll be able to make an informed choice if you need managed or unmanaged types of dedicated servers and the best hosting plan for you.
Differences Between Managed and Unmanaged Servers
Dedicated server hosting falls into two types, which are managed and unmanaged.
1. Managed Dedicated Servers
In this setup, the service provider will retain management, operational, and maintenance responsibilities for your server such as backup, control panel operations and issues, hardware and software, network, operating system, and security patches. The hosting company will also provide you with full support for the processing and standard functionality of your server.
- Pros and Cons of Managed Dedicated Servers
There are several advantages and disadvantages of getting a managed dedicated server for hosting your websites and applications. Therefore, it’s important to consider these pros and cons before you make a decision.
- Management and maintenance – The service provider takes care of all the management and maintenance tasks related to your server.
- Support – The hosting company provides full customer support via chat, call or email.
- Convenience – With the service provider fully responsible for the management and maintenance of your server, you can focus on other important tasks related to your business.
- Cost – Managed servers are more expensive than unmanaged options.
- Limited control from you – You have little control over how crucial tasks like setting up backups and installing security measures are performed on the server since the hosting provider is in charge of these tasks.
providers put restrictions on the applications or plugins you can deploy on the server and the changes for certain configuration options.
2. Unmanaged Dedicated Servers
In this setup, the service provider will only be responsible for taking care of your physical server’s storage and security. You as the client will primarily be responsible for handling the major operations of your server such as setting up and managing the server, monitoring the server’s consumption and performance, network maintenance, installing the security updates, patches, and upgrades, and doing other management tasks related to your server.
- Pros and Cons of Unmanaged Dedicated Servers
There are also several advantages and disadvantages of getting unmanaged dedicated servers. It's important to take them into account before deciding if unmanaged servers are best for you.
- Cost – Less expensive than managed servers.
- Full management control – You are fully in charge of managing your server and you can decide about every aspect of your server without having to consult or coordinate with the service provider.
- More management overhead – You are in charge of all aspects of managing and maintaining the server which will take a lot of time and effort on your part.
- Technical know-how – You will need considerable knowledge and experience in server management and maintenance.
- Deciding Which Type of Dedicated Server to Choose
Deciding the type of dedicated server that you need will depend on your abilities and skills. If you have comprehensive technical skills and are highly experienced in server operation, monitoring, and maintenance, then you can opt for unmanaged dedicated server hosting. But if you have minimal technical skills and experience or none at all, then a managed dedicated server is the best option for you.
What is a Dedicated Server in Gaming
A game server is a physical server that hosts multiplayer computers or video games over the Internet. Clients or players will pay membership fees to access the gaming server so they can participate in the games and other related events hosted on the server.
Amateur or novice players will often ask what is a dedicated server in gaming when they hear the term dedicated game servers for the first time. Many multiplayer gamers will usually experience lags, dropped games, and long wait times for the software to load if the host’s computer lacks enough memory and processing power to support the games. That’s why many game enthusiasts turn to dedicated servers in gaming or dedicated game servers to avoid those issues.
A dedicated game server exclusively hosts computer games for clients. It has enhanced processing, memory, and storage capabilities to handle the resources needed for the games to run smoothly so the clients will have a seamless gaming experience without any issues.
- Why Dedicated Servers for Gaming are Better
Compared to other game server hosting options, using a dedicated game server will provide you more processing power with its large CPU power and RAM, high level of security, various customization options, reliable infrastructure, fewer risks of file corruption and full customer support from the hosting provider.
What is Dedicated IP Server
An IP (Internet Protocol) is a unique address or unique string of characters that identifies devices on the Internet or local network. Multiple domains will use a shared IP address while a dedicated IP address is a static IP address that is used by a single user and not shared with other domains. If you subscribed to a dedicated server hosting service, it means you will automatically get an IP address for your dedicated server or also known as a dedicated IP server.
- Advantages of a Dedicated IP Server
Having a dedicated server with its own IP address will provide you the following benefits:
- Less risk from IP blacklisting – If you share an IP address with another user and this user is blacklisted, your IP address will also be banned. But with a dedicated IP, you have zero chance of getting blacklisted because you have sole control of your site.
- Improved file transfer – You will have a faster file transfer rate and better security If you set up your FTP server to share files within an organization that has a dedicated IP address.
- Remote access security – Companies with dedicated IP addresses are less prone to security breaches and they can swiftly identify any breaches if they came from employees.
- Faster connection – You get faster email deliverability and website speeds, less lag time, and fewer connection issues.
What is Windows Dedicated IP Server
A Windows dedicated server is a dedicated server hosting plan that runs only on the Windows operating system. Microsoft Windows is the dominant desktop operating system as of June 2022 with a market share of over 76 percent. It’s not surprising then that many users who avail of dedicated server hosting services would prefer Windows dedicated servers.
The advantages of Windows dedicated servers running on Windows OS include its user-friendly features and compatibility with other operating systems and languages, extensive security features, regular updates, and the full customer support provided by Microsoft.
How Much for a Dedicated Server
After opting for a dedicated server hosting service to host your website and applications, the first thing you would probably ask yourself is how much a dedicated server would you spend? Renting a dedicated server from a hosting provider can be more economical and cost-effective for you compared to buying your own business server. You might opt for lower-cost hosting providers, but they don’t necessarily equate to quality service in terms of the resources, facilities, hardware, software, and customer support that they provide.
It can cost you an average of $40 to $200 per month to rent a dedicated server. However, the subscription prices for dedicated servers will depend on several factors:
- Hosting company – Some hosting providers will cost more because they are well-known and have bigger operations compared to the small or medium providers. Before you choose a company, research its management, client reviews, resources for hardware, software, and security datacenter infrastructure, and customer support.
- Type of dedicated server – A managed server can offer more benefits such as extensive support for management, security, hardware, software, and customer service, but it will cost more than an unmanaged server.
- Duration of hosting contract – Payment terms can be on a monthly, quarterly, and yearly basis. Choose a term that is within your budget and beneficial for your business.
- Memory and storage – The more memory, resources, and processing power that your website or applications need, the more you will pay extra for each upgrade.
Renting or Buying a Server from a Hosting Provider
Buying a dedicated server from a server hosting company is usually the first option taken by many users who need dedicated servers for their applications or businesses. Many service providers offer high-quality servers at affordable subscription plans with hardware and software specifications that can be customized according to your requirements. A lot of these providers also offer the rental or sale of virtual private server hosting which is a type of server that could be applicable to your website or applications.
Instead of renting, you can buy a dedicated server from a hosting service company that will host your server in their data center. For this option, you can buy your server as a managed type from the hosting provider who can also offer a separate subscription plan for the management and maintenance of your server
It’s important that you should research online to look for service providers with a good track record of hosting dedicated servers and providing excellent support to their customers. You should also consider these factors when buying your own dedicated server from a hosting provider:
- Hardware requirements – The specific memory, network speed, processing, and storage requirements are the biggest factors that affect a server’s cost. The more you require from these features, the higher your server's final price.
- Contract terms – You will have to pay a regular fee to the service provider for hosting your server. Some payment durations are more expensive than others such as a monthly plan costing a little more than an annual plan.
- Type of server – A managed server means the hosting company will be in charge of managing and maintaining your server. In an unmanaged server, you will handle most of the management and maintenance of your server with the hosting provider providing you with little support. A managed type will definitely cost more than an unmanaged type.
You can use the information in this guide to help you decide if a dedicated server is the best option for your business’s websites and applications, and if you should rent a dedicated server or just buy your own. However, you should not completely rely on this guide alone. It’s important that you do your own extensive research about dedicated servers and dedicated server hosting providers as part of your comprehensive approach to making an informed decision.
Trust ServerHub for Reliable, Affordable Servers
ServerHub offers dedicated servers that are tailor-made to your budget and the specific needs of your websites and applications. Get our Single Processor servers at just $48 or $65 a month, both of which can be deployed in 24 hours. Other affordable Single Processor payment plans for deployment in 48 hours can be accessed here.
ServerHub also offers VPS hosting starting at just $5 a month with instant virtual deployment, a 10Gig network link, compatibility with various OS, and flexible scalability. Contact us to know how we can help you expand your business with our dedicated servers and VPS hosting services.
- Dedicated Servers: Definitions, Examples & How to Choose Best Service!
- What is IaaS platform Beginner's guide to infrastructure as a service
- The Ultimate Guide to Dedicated Servers
- Why You May Need a Dedicated Server for Your Business Website
- Managed vs. Unmanaged Dedicated Servers: Which is Right for You?
- What Is a Dedicated Server for Gaming? And Why You Need It
- What Is a Dedicated IP Server? | HostGator
- What is a Windows Server?
- 5 Reasons Why You Must Choose Windows Dedicated Server Hosting
- How Much Does a Server Cost For a Small Business in 2023?
- Dedicated Server Cost: The Only Guide That Will Clear All Your Confusion